Saturday, June 2, 2007

BECKHAM IS BACK.


England


1-1


Brazil

Terry 68




Diego 90+2
International Friendly
8pm, Friday 1 June 2007
Wembley Stadium




David Beckham says he was honoured to be part of England’s first game back at the new Wembley and is hopeful it can help England record a crucial victory against Estonia next Wednesday.

Beckham received a standing ovation from the sell-out crowd at Wembley after earning a recall to the squad for the first time since the World Cup last summer.

The Real Madrid midfielder wasted no time reminding everyone of his ability when his inch perfect free-kick helped set up John Terry for the opening goal against Brazil.

Although Diego netted a last minute equaliser to deny England their first victory back at the national stadium, Beckham admits he relished being back for the Three Lions and is determined to keep his place in the side.

Beckham said: “I think everyone of us enjoyed it. It was such an historical night for all of England and it was great to be out there.

“It is always nice to have the support of the fans and I have had that throughout my career. It was amazing out there for me.

“Things are in the past now and I am happy to have been part of this historic occasion.

“It was good to be back in the England squad and it was nice to be with the team and just be part of the set-up again. We practised the set pieces a lot during the week and Steve put me on them so I was happy.

“It is going to be different for us playing against Estonia on Wednesday but we need a similar kind of performance and we need the three points which is the most important thing.”

Beckham reveals a call of nature forced him to come out last for England at the start of the game, but he has been happy to let the other players take all the attention in the build-up to the Brazil game this week.

5JaPZMRhudQ
Beckham added: “I didn’t deliberately go to the back of the line-up when we walked out. I was in the toilet so that was the reason I was at the back. It was nothing on purpose.

“When I have been in the squad for the last ten-years I have been captain for six of them so I have to do press conferences and different things. It has been good this week and I have enjoyed it.

“I have always felt I have had to play for my place and I have always done that in every team I have played for.

“It is just nice to be back and I have not looked at what has happened in the past games. They are a great bunch of lads who have a great spirit. I’m sure we will be alright.”

No comments:

counter customizable free hit