Saturday, June 9, 2007
MANU -Striker Worries
Reds chief executive David Gill says United may add a striker to the squad before the start of the season, despite already spending big in the transfer market this summer.
United have been linked with a host of strikers, including Tottenham's Dimitar Berbatov, Barcelona forward Samuel Eto'o, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar from Ajax and Atletico Madrid's Fernando Torres.
Gill did not name names or specify whether the Reds are looking for a big name, but he did say that if United do spend further the money will go on a striker.
"We have looked at it and we don't rule out another signing," Gill told Sky Sports News. "That area is a striker but we will see what happens. We're not desperate for it but if one came along that Alex felt would improve the squad we're prepared to do that."
Having spent a reported £50million on Owen Hargreaves, Anderson and Nani, Gill says there are also likely to be departures.
"There will be some changes but it would be wrong to comment as to that but I think they are discussions we will have internally," he added. "We have a got a large squad now, so there should be some people leaving, not many at all.
"There should be some leaving and don't forget we have some great players coming back who have been on loan. We want competition for places, we are looking to improve the squad and to take it on from last year
"We are not resting on our laurels, we want to do even better next year on the pitch. Alex is always looking to improve the quality of the team we have out there
Posted by sjmach at 6:41 AM